Author: TE Miller.
Dept of Medicine, University of Auckland New Zealand, February 1981
The study was conducted in two phases using four groups of five male and female Fischer rats.
Phase one involved monitoring the response of the rats to a single high dose (8g per kg bodyweight) of Seatone.
No signs of toxicity were found and all amimals were alive and healthy 2 weeks after administration of the Seatone.
In phase two the rats were fed Seatone at a daily dose of 2g per kg bodyweight per day administered orally for 14 day. No signs of toxicity were found
The animals were examined daily over a period of fourteen days. At the end of fourteen days the animals were euthanized and a post mortem conducted with heart, lungs, stomach and intestines being examined. Blood samples were also taken from the animals involved in the phase two experiment for determination of haematological parameters.
After two weeks all animals in both phases of the experiments were alive and healthy and it was found that Seatone did not exhibit acute toxicity. Due to the absence of toxic effects it was not possible to establish the LD50 for Seatone and the author concluded that the experiments demonstrated the Seatone does not exhibit acute toxicity when tested in rats.
In body weight terms of a 70 kg human, this would be equivalent to 120 gram per day. The recommended human dose in humans is 1 -1.2 gram per day.
FOOTNOTE: Long Term Toxicity.
The absence of toxic effects due to daily ingestion of Seatone over the long term has since been demonstrated by the fact that the product has been subjected to a number of clinical studies of duration up to six months in human subjects with no incidence of adverse events. In addition, widespread international use of the product by humans for more than 30 years has not resulted in any reports of toxic events.
Advisory: This is not intended for the diagnosis or treatment of medical complaints. It is for information purposes only.