Our health depends a lot on our lifestyle. If we have a healthy lifestyle then we carry less risk of developing diseases. If a person opts for healthy lifestyle then he or she can live better life even in a diseased condition. Same is in the case of arthritis patient.
Life of arthritis patient becomes difficult even if he or she is undergoing continues treatment. Thus along with treatment he or she must accompany some ways to manage the condition of arthritis. Therefore you should make changes in your lifestyle which will help you a lot in the condition of arthritis. Lifestyle changes include doing exercise which may help you to relieve stiffness, reduce fatigue and pain and improve bone and muscle strength. You must take the aid of your health care team before designing an exercise program for you. Your healthcare team may suggest you exercise programs that may include the following exercises:
- Walking and low -impact aerobic activity (Walking is the best option for the patients of arthritis)
- For enhancing the flexibility range of motion exercises can be included
- For muscle tone, strength training can be helpful for you
Your health care team may also suggest you physical therapy which might include the following:
- Heat or ice therapy to relieve pain and inflammation. Use of heating pads or ice packs can help you to relieve arthritis pain.
- Splints or braces can be used to support joints.
- Massage can help you to enhance the motion of joint and relieve pain.
- Water therapy will help to enhance the motion of joints.
Some of the other things that can help you are as follows:
- Sleep: Getting enough sleep of almost 8 to 10 hours a night and also taking naps during the day can aid you to recover more quickly and can also prevent fatigue and pain up to some extent.
- Positions and movements: You must avoid the positions and movements that impart extra stress on the affected joint and avoid staying in one posture for too long.
- Changes in home: For instance installing tub in your bathroom and nearing the toilet can make your routine activities easy.
- Stress-reducing activities: Addition of activities as meditation, tai-chi and yoga in your life can make you feel better and relaxed.
- Healthy diet: Eat enough fruits and vegetables that contain important minerals and vitamins, especially vitamin E. Eat foods which are rich in omega-3 fatty acids as cold water fish, flaxseed, rapeseed oil, soybean oil, and walnuts.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol: Avoiding the intake of excessive alcohol and smoking can help you to live a better life with arthritis.
- Apply capsaicin cream: Application of capsaicin cream over painful joints can help you to feel improvement.
- Lose weight: Losing your body weight can help you to improve joint pain in the feet and legs.
- Assistive devices: Use of devices as shoe insert or cane can ease pain when walking.
By making such changes in your lifestyle you will feel easy to live your routine life. This will changes will not only help you physically but will also make you mentally stable and free from mental stress.