What Is Obesity?
Obesity is a chronic condition where an excess amount of body fat is accumulated in the body of a person, which might cause negative effects on health. It is a complex condition that increases the risk of various health conditions such as diabetes, heart disease and high blood pressure.
What Causes the Condition of Obesity?
Various factors as genetics, behavior and hormones can cause obesity. However, exactly obesity occurs when your calorie consumption is more than you burn through normal daily activities and exercise. The extra calories are stored as fats.
The principal causes of obesity are:
- Inactivity: If you spend a sedentary lifestyle then you do not burn many
- Unhealthy diet: Weight gain is certain if you take more calories than you burn.
Can You Do Anything to Prevent Obesity?
Even if you are not at the risk of becoming obese or at a healthy weight, you can opt some ways to prevent obesity. The ways to prevent obesity are same as for losing weight.
- Exercise Regularly: Choose moderately intense physical activities as swimming and fast walking to prevent weight gain.
- Follow a Healthy Eating Plan: Avoid saturated fats and limit your sweet and alcohol consumption. Prefer to eat low-calorie diet, such as whole grain, fruits and vegetables.
- Monitor Weight Regularly: Weighing your weight at least once a week helps you in keeping off excess pounds. This happens because you are able to detect small changes in weight before they become big enough to cause problems.
- Be Consistent: If you want to achieve long term success, then stick to your healthy-weight plan during the week, on the weekends and holidays.
Are There Any Treatments Available for Obesity?
Obesity can be treated by lifestyle changes, medicines and surgery.
- Lifestyle Changes: Lifestyle changes as doing regular exercise and eating low calorie diet play a great role in loosing excess weight.
- Medicines: There are certain medicines available to treat obesity. Some of them act by decreasing the fat absorption during digestion while others act by suppressing appetite. It is important to use these medicines along with decreased calorie intake and increased exercise.
- Surgery: Bariatric surgery can be helpful in case of some people to lose weight by changing the way of digestion and absorption of food by the body.
How Omega-3 Helps to Reduce Weight?
Omega 3 fatty acids EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) reduces the levels of insulin and burns the extra calories that you eat into energy rather than storing as body fat. It improves the blood flow to muscles while you are exercising. Therefore, increases the ability of the body to burn more fat.
Studies show that omega-3 consumption also:
- decreases the insulin resistance
- improves the glucose sensitivity
- decreases the marker of inflammation
- lowers the levels of cortisone, which is a hormone that can cause the storage of extra calories
- speeds up the fat oxidation by promoting a specific receptor in the liver which affects fat
Why It Is Better to Use Omega-3 for the Treatment of Obesity Rather than Medicines?
Weight loss medicines show certain side effects and are not appropriate for all. They are not recommended in the gestation period. On the other hand, omega-3 is natural product and it does not show any side effect.