Now researches show that arthritis inflammation of the joints can cause damage in unpredicted ways. Following are the eye conditions that have connections with different arthritis types:
- Dry Eye Syndrome: It is a condition that reduces moisture in the eyes. It is usually linked with rheumatoid This condition increases the risk for injury and infection. Early treatment can help prevent vision-threatening complications.
- Scleritis: This condition can develop when rheumatoid arthritis is not under control, which causes the body to start attacking sclera (white part) of an eye. It includes symptoms such as reddening of the sclera, eye pain, and light sensitivity. This disease can result in vision loss if not treated. Therefore, it should be treated immediately.
- Uveitis: It can develop in people suffering from psoriatic arthritis. It can develop as an inflammation of the uvea, which is a layer of the eye that exists between the retina and sclera. Its symptoms include redness in the eye, pain in the eye, light sensitivity and blurred vision. This disease can cause blindness if left untreated. Therefore, immediate treatment is very essential.
- Retinal Vascular Occlusion: This disease occurs due to blockage of blood vessels that are leading to the retina. It can occur due to conditions such as lupus. It’s symptoms may include gradual vision loss and a blind spot in the vision of a person. Its treatment includes laser surgery.
- Glaucoma: It refers to a group of eye disorders that lead to damage of the optic nerve. It can occur due to ankylosing spondylitis and other forms of inflammatory arthritis and it has an adverse effect from corticosteroid medicines. A person suffering from glaucoma may experience symptoms such as pain, blurred vision and blank spots in vision. Your doctor may recommend you eye drops or surgery.
- Cataracts: A person may have cataracts if there is cloudiness in the vision, trouble in seeing colors and weak night vision. Cataracts are common in people suffering from rheumatoid arthritis and psoriatic arthritis. Surgery is the best treatment for people suffering from cataracts.