Though there is no diet that treats rheumatoid arthritis certain foods can reduce the inflammation in the body. These foods may help you feel better overall.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Certain fats such as omega-3 fatty acids reduce the inflammation. They also reduce the bad cholesterol (low-density lipoprotein) and triglycerides. High levels of low-density lipoproteins increase the risk of heart disease. Therefore, omega-3 fatty acids are also useful in reducing the risk of heart diseases associated with rheumatoid arthritis.
- Beans: Beans are full of fiber that helps to reduce the levels of C-reactive protein. They provide you protein that helps to keep the muscles around the joints strong.
- Olive Oil: It contains heart-healthy monounsaturated fat and antioxidants, which can reduce inflammation and pain.
- Broccoli: It is packed with vitamins like A, C, and K that protect you from the damage of free radical and also keeps bones strong as it is a good source of calcium.
- Nuts: Nuts are packed with anti-inflammatory monounsaturated fat, protein and filling fiber.
- Cherries: Cherries contain anthocyanins, which are powerful antioxidants that control
- Citrus Fruits: Such as oranges and grapefruits help to make the immune system strong.
- Ginger: Gingerol present in ginger acts as an anti-inflammatory.
- Green Tea: It is rich in antioxidants, which helps to reduce the inflammation and slows the cartilage damage.
- Turmeric: Curcumin present in turmeric is an anti-inflammatory agent. It relieves swelling and pain.
Foods to Avoid in Rheumatoid Arthritis:
- Avoid Processed Food: Processed foods contain unhealthy fats that are associated with inflammation. Even the canned vegetables usually contain high levels of sodium that can elevate the blood pressure.
- Limit salt consumption: Excess salt consumption causes fluid retention as it can complicate the condition because the corticosteroids used in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis also cause the body to retain more sodium.
- Avoid drinking alcohol: Excess alcohol drinking can aggravate the condition of rheumatoid arthritis.
- Avoid sugar consumption: Sugar intake can cause the body to release cytokines that initiate the inflammation process.