Ankylosing spondylitis cannot be cured but its treatment can help you to get relief from the pain and stiffness, and to prevent and delay the progression, complications and spinal deformity. It is best to take the treatment of Ankylosing spondylitis before any irreversible damage to joints. Following are the different treatments for the ankylosing spondylitis:
Medications for Ankylosing Spondylitis
- NSAIDs (Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs): They are the medicines which are most commonly recommended by the doctors for the treatment of ankylosing spondylitis. They are helpful in providing relief from inflammation, stiffness and pain.
- TNF blockers or interleukin 17 (IL-17) inhibitors: These are recommended when NSAIDs are not able to help you. TNF blockers decrease the pain and swelling in the affected area. They can be administered through intravenous or subcutaneous route. They work by targeting cell protein that is responsible for causing inflammation. IL-17 plays a great role in the body to defend against the infection.
Therapy for Ankylosing Spondylitis
Physical therapy can help you to get relief from pain and to improve strength and flexibility. Specific exercise can be designed according to your needs by physical therapist. Stretching exercises can be helpful to maintain the flexibility of joints and preservation of good posture. Complete sleep, abdominal and back exercises can be helpful in maintaining the upright posture.
Surgery for Ankylosing Spondylitis
Generally surgery is not required in the treatment of ankylosing spondylitis. However, surgery can be recommended in case there is severe pain or joint damage or in case hip joint is badly damaged and replacement is needed.
Alternative Treatments for Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Acupuncture: Acupuncture is found to reduce the pain and enhance the range of movement on the spine.
- Ayurvedic Medicines: The Ayurvedic medicines for ankylosing spondylitis generally contains the herbs as dry ginger, guggul, Ashwagandha , turmeric, fenugreek, and giloy.
- Homeopathic Medicines: Aesculus, kalmia, Rhus Tox, Kali Carb, Cimicifuga Racemosa And Guaiacum are the main Homeopathic medicines for Ankylosing spondylitis that are helpful for treating painful and stiff back.
Dietary Supplement for Ankylosing Spondylitis
Dietary supplements are the products that contain herbs, vitamins, minerals, and many other nutrients that have an important role in the maintenance of health. They are available to you as pills, drinks, capsules, powders and energy bars. GLME is considered as the best dietary supplement for the treatment and management of Ankylosing spondylitis.
- GLME (Green Lipped Mussel Extract): GLME (Green lipped mussel extract) is the best dietary supplement for Ankylosing spondylitis. It is extracted from the green lipped mussel which is a shell fish grown in the farms of New Zealand. It is highly beneficial for the patients of Ankylosing spondylitis as it has great nutritional value.