Medications can be helpful in decreasing the pain of fibrositis and improve sleep. Common medications include:
- Pain relievers: Over-the-counter pain relievers as acetaminophen, ibuprofen or naproxen sodium may be helpful to you. Your doctor may also suggest you a prescription pain reliever as Tramadol. Narcotics are not prescribed because they can result in dependence and can worsen the pain over time.
- Antidepressants: Duloxetine and Milnacipran can ease the fatigue and pain linked with fibromyalgia. Your doctor might prescribe you Amitriptyline or the muscle relaxant to induce sleep.
- Anti-seizure drugs: Medications for the treatment of epilepsy are usually helpful in decreasing some types of pain. Gabapentin is sometimes beneficial decreasing the symptoms of fibromyalgia.
Different therapies may help you to decrease the effect which fibrositis has on your body and life. For example:
- Physical therapy: Physical therapist can teach exercises which will improve your flexibility, strength and stamina. Water-based exercises can also be helpful.
- Occupational therapy: An occupational therapist may help you to make adjustments in the way you perform your tasks so that it will cause less stress on your body.
- Counseling: Talking with a counselor may help you to build up your belief in your capabilities and teach you tactics for dealing with stressful circumstances.
Acupuncture is a Chinese medical system based on restoring normal balance of life forces by inserting very fine needles through the skin to various depths. According to Western theories of acupuncture, the needles cause changes in blood flow and levels of neurotransmitters in the brain and spinal cord. Some studies indicate that acupuncture helps relieve fibromyalgia symptoms, while others show no benefit.
This is one of the oldest methods of health care still in practice. It involves use of different manipulative techniques to move your body′s muscles and soft tissues. Massage can reduce your heart rate, relax your muscles, improve range of motion in your joints and increase production of your body′s natural painkillers. It often helps relieve stress and anxiety.
Some of the herbs which are used in the Ayurvedic treatment of Fibromyalgia are Nirgundi (Vitex negundo), Shallaki (Boswellia serrata), Guggul (Commiphora mukul), Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Ginger (Zingiber officinale), Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia) and Milk thistle (Silybum marianum).
Bryonia, Rhus Tox, Kalmia, Custicum and Arnica are the five main homeopathic remedies for fibrositis.
Dietary Supplement for Fibrositis
Dietary supplements are important for the maintenance of health. They include minerals, enzymes, herbs, vitamins, and many other products. They come in the market in the form of pills, energy bars, capsules, drinks and powders. For fibrositis GLME is the most beneficial dietary supplement.
GLME (Green Lipped Mussel Extract): Green lipped mussel extract is the best supplement for fibrositis that is obtained from the green lipped mussels.