Fibrositis is also known as fibromyalgia which is a disorder characterized by musculoskeletal pain along with fatigue, memory, sleep and mood issues. Symptoms of fibromyalgia may begin after a surgery, physical trauma, infection or severe psychological stress.
Women are more susceptible to develop fibromyalgia than men. Patients of fibromyalgia may also have tension headaches, anxiety, temporomandibular joint disorders, irritable bowel syndrome and depression.
According to a research frequent nerve stimulation can cause the brain of person with fibromyalgia to get changed. This change involves an unusual increase in levels of some chemicals in the brain which signal pain. Moreover the pain receptors of the brain develop a kind of memory of the pain and thus become more sensitive to pain signals.
There is no cure of fibromyalgia, but a number of medications can help you to control the symptoms. Stress reduction measures, exercise and relaxation may also help to improve the condition.
Following are the main causes of fibrositis:
- Genetics: There may be some genetic mutations thus the fibrositis runs in families.
- Infections: Some infections can stimulate and worsen the fibromyalgia.
- Physical or emotional trauma: Physical trauma as car accidents can trigger fibrositis. Psychological stress is also known to trigger it.
There are several risk factors for fibrositis but the main ones are as follows:
- Gender: Fibromyalgia is more common in women than in men.
- Family history: You may be susceptible to develop fibromyalgia in case your relative also has the condition.
- Other disorders: A person with osteoarthritis, lupus or rheumatoid arthritis is more prone to develop fibromyalgia.
Common signs and symptoms of fibrositis include:
- Pain: The pain linked with fibromyalgia is described as a continuous dull ache which was for at least three months. The pain occurs on both sides of the body and above and below waist.
- Fatigue: Patients of fibromyalgia generally awaken tired, even if they sleep for long periods of time. There sleep is generally disrupted by pain, and many people with fibromyalgia suffer other sleep disorders as sleep apnea and restless legs syndrome.
- Cognitive difficulties: Patients of fibrositis impair the ability to pay attention, focus and concentrate on mental tasks.
Fibrositis may occur along other painful conditions as:
- Migraine and other forms of headache
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Painful bladder syndrome or interstitial cystitis
- Temporomandibular joint disorders
In the past, doctors used to check 18 specific points on body to observe painful points. But now a fibromyalgia diagnosis is made in case a person has had extensive pain for more than three months.
Blood Tests : There is no lab test to affirm the diagnosis of fibromyalgia therefore doctor may try to detect other conditions which have similar symptoms. Some of the blood tests may be recommended by the doctor as follows:
- Complete blood count
- Erythrocyte sedimentation rate
- Cyclic citrullinated peptide test
- Rheumatoid factor
- Thyroid function tests
Medications can be helpful in decreasing the pain of fibrositis and improve sleep. Common medications include:
- Pain relievers: Over-the-counter pain relievers as acetaminophen, ibuprofen or naproxen sodium may be helpful to you. Your doctor may also suggest you a prescription pain reliever as Tramadol. Narcotics are not prescribed because they can result in dependence and can worsen the pain over time.
- Antidepressants: Duloxetine and Milnacipran can ease the fatigue and pain linked with fibromyalgia. Your doctor might prescribe you Amitriptyline or the muscle relaxant to induce sleep.
- Anti-seizure drugs: Medications for the treatment of epilepsy are usually helpful in decreasing some types of pain. Gabapentin is sometimes beneficial decreasing the symptoms of fibromyalgia.
Different therapies may help you to decrease the effect which fibrositis has on your body and life. For example:
- Physical therapy: Physical therapist can teach exercises which will improve your flexibility, strength and stamina. Water-based exercises can also be helpful.
- Occupational therapy: An occupational therapist may help you to make adjustments in the way you perform your tasks so that it will cause less stress on your body.
- Counseling: Talking with a counselor may help you to build up your belief in your capabilities and teach you tactics for dealing with stressful circumstances.
Acupuncture is a Chinese medical system based on restoring normal balance of life forces by inserting very fine needles through the skin to various depths. According to Western theories of acupuncture, the needles cause changes in blood flow and levels of neurotransmitters in the brain and spinal cord. Some studies indicate that acupuncture helps relieve fibromyalgia symptoms, while others show no benefit.
This is one of the oldest methods of health care still in practice. It involves use of different manipulative techniques to move your body′s muscles and soft tissues. Massage can reduce your heart rate, relax your muscles, improve range of motion in your joints and increase production of your body′s natural painkillers. It often helps relieve stress and anxiety.
Some of the herbs which are used in the Ayurvedic treatment of Fibromyalgia are Nirgundi (Vitex negundo), Shallaki (Boswellia serrata), Guggul (Commiphora mukul), Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Ginger (Zingiber officinale), Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia) and Milk thistle (Silybum marianum).
Bryonia, Rhus Tox, Kalmia, Custicum and Arnica are the five main homeopathic remedies for fibrositis.
Dietary Supplement for Fibrositis
Dietary supplements are important for the maintenance of health. They include minerals, enzymes, herbs, vitamins, and many other products. They come in the market in the form of pills, energy bars, capsules, drinks and powders. For fibrositis GLME is the most beneficial dietary supplement.
GLME (Green Lipped Mussel Extract): Green lipped mussel extract is the best supplement for fibrositis that is obtained from the green lipped mussels.
What Is the Role of Glme (Green Lipped Mussel Extract) in the Treatment and Management of Fibrositis?
GLME (Green lipped mussel extract) is highly beneficial in the management of fibrositis as follows:
- It lubricates the joints and thus increases the joint mobility which is required in the condition of temporomandibular joint disorders.
- It protects the stomach lining from the severe reactions of other medicines which are used in the treatment of fibrositis.
- It helps other medicines to show their maximum efficacy.
Seatone is the formulation of GLME (green lipped mussel extract) which is best from all its other formulations because:
- It is extracted from the top quality of mussels when they are at their peak condition.
- It is available in the market after a number of tests and trials.
Seatone is better than all the other treatments for fibrositis because:
- Seatone do not show any adverse effects.
- Analgesics damage to the lining of stomach and the Seatone protects the stomach lining by working as gastro-protective.
- Other medicines used in the treatment of fibrositis can provide only temporary relief while Seatone provides long lasting effects.
- Seatone is safe at higher doses also but the medicines as analgesics show unpleasant effects at higher doses.
Fibrositis can be managed by some of the changes in the lifestyle and adoption of some home remedies as follows:
Reduce stress: You can develop a plan to prevent or limit emotional stress and overexertion. You should allow yourself to relax however it does not mean that you change your complete routine. Some of the activities as meditation or deep-breathing exercises can also help you to reduce the stress.
Get enough sleep: Getting sufficient sleep is important because fatigue is the major characteristics of fibromyalgia.
Exercise regularly: Exercise can increase your pain at the starting stage but gradual and regular exercise can decrease symptoms. The exercises as walking, water aerobics, swimming and biking are good for the patients of fibrositis. You can take the help of physical therapist to develop a home exercise program.
Pace yourself: You should maintain the even level of your activity. Doing too much on your good days can bring more bad days. You should not overdo on your good days, but it does not mean that you should do too little.
Maintain a healthy lifestyle: You should eat healthy foods and limit caffeine intake. You should do something which is enjoyable for you.
Yoga: Yoga can help you to control the symptoms of fibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia can be stimulated by certain events, but the exact cause of fibromyalgia is unknown. Thus, there is no way to prevent fibromyalgia. But living a healthy lifestyle as getting enough sleep, exercising and eating healthy foods is the best way to live healthy.
Fibrositis is not organ-threatening disease and the overall mortality is not elevated in patients. Many patients of fibromyalgia suffer from widespread pain for years. After the confirmed diagnosis patients of fibromyalgia find overall sense of well-being and pain improves to moderate levels with the treatments. Some patients experience a dramatic deduction in pain with changes in life to decrease stress. But such patients are always at risk of worsening of symptoms in the future and thus they should maintain efforts to live a healthy lifestyle. Patients of fibromyalgia have a greater rate of disability than the common population, however looking for permanent disability status is usually discouraged because it recurrently results in worsening of symptoms.
Disclaimer : All information on this website is only for general educational purpose and it cannot substitute the consultation with a doctor. It is highly suggested that you seek advice from doctor to determine your requirements. Women who are in their gestation or lactation period and children should not take any supplement without the consultation of their doctor.