Following are the treatments for juvenile rheumatoid arthritis that can help your child in maintaining a normal physical and social activity:
Medications for Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs): Medicines such as Ibuprofen and Naproxen can decrease the pain and swelling.
- Disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs (DMARDs): These medicines are prescribed by the doctor when the NSAIDs alone fail to provide relief from symptoms of swelling and joint pain. Methotrexate and Sulfasalazine are the common DMARDs that are used in children.
- Tumor necrosis factor (TNF) blockers: TNF blockers as Etanercept and Adalimumab may provide relief from the pain, swollen joints and morning stiffness.
- Immune suppressants: These medicines can help your child as juvenile rheumatoid arthritis is caused by the over activeness of immune system. Abatacept, Rituximab or Anakinra are the commonly prescribed Immune suppressants.
- Corticosteroids: Medications as Prednisone can control symptoms and they prevent complications like inflammation of the sac around the heart.
Therapies for Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Physical therapist: A physical therapist can help to keep joints flexible and maintain muscle tone and motion.
- Occupational therapist: An occupational therapist can suggest protective equipment for your child as the use of joint supports or splints to protect joints.
Surgery for Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis
Only in the severe cases of juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, surgery can be required to improve the joint position.
Alternative Treatments for Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Ayurvedic medicines: Boswellia Curcumin, Ammvatantak churna and Ashwagandha churna are the commonly recommended medicines for juvenile rheumatoid arthritis.
- Homeopathy: Abrotanum, Apis, Belladonna, Bryonia and Aconite are the common herbs present in the homeopathic medicines.
- Acupuncture: Acupuncture is advised in the condition of juvenile rheumatoid arthritis to overcome the inflammation.
Dietary Supplements for Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis
Dietary supplements mean the products that include minerals, herbs, vitamins, and many other nutrients that have a significant role in the maintenance of health. They are available as pills, energy bars, drinks, capsules, and powders. For juvenile arthritis GLME is the best dietary supplement that can decrease the joint pain and other symptoms.
- GLME (Green Lipped Mussel Extract): GLME (Green lipped mussel extract) is the most recommended dietary supplement for juvenile rheumatoid arthritis which is extracted from the green lipped mussels. Green lipped mussel is a shell fish which is grown in the farms of New Zealand. It has shown a great role against the juvenile rheumatoid arthritis as it is quite safe due to its marine origin.