The treatment of lumbago depends upon its exact cause. The focus of medicinal treatments is to decreases the pain however these medicines do not change the basic source of pain. Medical treatments are prescribed by the doctor along with a physical therapy program. Common medicines used in the treatment of lumbago are:
- Muscle relaxants: These medicines work as a depressant on the central nervous system and enhance the mobility of tense muscles. It also helps to relieve the pain due to muscle spasms or tightness. Muscle relaxants do not show effects in chronic pain management.
- Narcotic pain medications: Narcotic medications are also known as opioid or painkillers which can later the perception of brain for the pain by weakening the signals. Narcotic medicines are generally used for the treatment of severe, short-term pain, as acute pain after a surgery. Narcotics are used to treat long-term pain in rare cases because they show numerous side effects and can be proved addictive.
- Epidural steroid injections: in this injection a steroid is administered directly into the outer part of the dural sac that surrounds the spinal cord. In this case fluoroscopy is used to direct the needle to the correct region. The focus of the injection is to relieve the pain for the time being by decreasing inflammation in the region of a compressed nerve root.
Medical treatments are generally used in conjunction with other methods. For instance, an epidural steroid injection can provide sufficient short term pain relief so as to allow the progress in physical therapy.
Surgery may be an option if your disc problem causes pain in leg that hinders you from doing routine tasks. You may suffer pain, tingling and numbness through your buttock and down to the back of leg or in the front of thigh.
There are many types of back surgeries. They may help the people that have severe symptoms. Following are the different types of back surgeries:
- Percutaneous discectomy
- Kyphoplasty and vertebroplasty
- Laminectomy for spinal stenosis
- Spinal fusion
- Surgeries for tumors and infection
- Kairali Massage: Massage can decrease the low back pain. It is most effective in case you do exercises for your back. Ayurvedic massages as Podikkizhi (Herbal powder massage), Kativasthi (Pooling medicated oil in the back), Ilakkaizhi (Herbal leaves massage) and Pizhichil (Pouring medicated oils as a stream) are highly beneficial in relieving pain and strengthening the muscles of back. They show no side effects and offer long term relief.
- Ayurvedic medicines: Dhanunthram Kashayam, Prasaaranyaadhi Kashayam and Dhanadhanayanaadhi Kashayam are helpful in relieving the pain.
- Homeopathic medicines: Rhus Tox, Bryonia Alba, Aesculus Hippocastanum, Kali Carb, Arnica Montana and Hypericum Perforatum, Cobaltum and Phosphorus, Colocynthis and Magnesium Phosphorica are the commonly used homeopathic medicines for lumbago.
- Acupuncture: Acupuncture can help you to reduce the pain and enhance the capability to be active temporarily. Acupressure uses pressure on some points in the body to reduce the symptoms.
Dietary Supplement for Lumbago
Dietary supplements which contain minerals, herbs, vitamins or other products have a significant role in the maintenance of health. They are formulated as pills, energy bars, drinks, capsules, and powders.
- GLME (Green Lipped Mussel Extract): GLME is the most recommended dietary supplement for lumbago. It is extracted from the green lipped mussels, which is grown in the farms of New Zealand.