You can manage the symptoms of osteoarthritis by changing your lifestyle and by maintaining your body weight to normal. However your doctor will suggest you the following:
Medicines for Osteoarthritis
- Oral analgesics: Acetaminophen is beneficial for the osteoarthritis patient who suffers from the mild to moderate pain.
- NSAIDs: The recommended doses of Over-the-counter NSAIDs like ibuprofen and naproxen sodium are advised to relieve osteoarthritis pain. The stronger NSAIDs can help to decrease the inflammation by treating pain also. But the NSAIDs may upset your stomach, or can cause bleeding problems, cardiovascular problems, and liver and kidney damage. Topical NSAIDS can also be used to relieve pain.
- In some cases Duloxetin which is an antidepressant is used to treat chronic pain of osteoarthritis.
Therapy for Osteoarthritis:
- Physical therapy: The physical therapy will help you to strengthen the muscles around your joint that will help you to reduce the pain and enhance the motion and reduce pain. Even gentle exercise as walking in routine can help you efficiently.
- Occupational therapy: You can take the help of occupational therapist to make your everyday tasks easy such as using a bench to do standing job rather than standing for long time if you have knee osteoarthritis.
- Yoga or Tai chi: Your doctor may also suggest you yoga or tai chi that has gentle stretches and exercises. However you need to avoid the moves that cause pain in your joints.
Surgeries and Other Procedures for Osteoarthritis:
- Cortisone injections: You can use three to four injections in a year to relive joint pain because more than this can damage your joint badly. The doctor numbs the area around your joint before injecting the medication.
- Lubrication injections: The injections of hyaluronic acid are used to relieve the pain by cushioning in your knee as hyaluronic acid is similar to one the joint fluids.
- Realigning bones: This surgery is used if one side of knee is more damaged. In this surgery your doctor cuts across the bone and then eliminates or inserts a wedge of bone. This helps to reduce the body weight from the worn-out portion of the knee.
- Joint replacement: It is a surgery in which surgeon take away the damaged joint surfaces and replaces it with plastic and metal parts. This surgery can lead to blood clots or infections.
Alternative Medicines and Therapies:
Some of the alternative medicines can help you to get relief from osteoarthritis as:
- Acupuncture for osteoarthritis: Acupuncture can help you to get relieved from the pain if you suffer from knee osteoarthritis. In this procedure hair-thin needles are introduced into your skin at specific spots.
Ayurvedic treatment for osteoarthritis: Ayurvedic treatment for Osteoarthritis is done with herbal medicines that possess anti-inflammatory effects.
For instance the medicines containing ingredients like Guggulu (Boswellia serreta and Commifora mukul) and those which strengthen the cartilages and bones are used in the treatment of osteoarthritis. Ayurvedic treatment also includes the application of medicated oils to the affected joints to get relief from pain and improving capability. However this treatment is not effective in getting immediate pain relief.
- Homoeopathic treatment of osteoarthritis: Commonly used homeopathic medicines for Osteoarthritis are Bryonia Alba, Arnica Montana, Calcaria carbonate, Radium bromide etc. they are helpful in providing relief from pain and stiffness.
- Kairali massage: Tila Taila (Sesame oil), Murivenna, Mahanarayana Tailam, Mahamasha Tailam, or Guggulutiktakam Ghritam etc are the different massage oils used in the treatment of osteoarthritis of knee.
Unani treatment of osteoarthritis: Leeching (Regimental therapy) is thought to decrease the swelling in osteoarthritis of knee. Some of the Unani herbs are used in the treatment of osteoarthritis but they do not contribute much in providing a relief.
Alternative treatments of osteoarthritis are not much reliable as they provide slow relief from the symptoms of osteoarthritis.
Dietary supplement for osteoarthritis:
Dietary supplements are vitamins, herbs, minerals, and many other products that play a major role in the maintenance of health. They are available as pills, drinks, capsules, powders and energy bars. For instance vitamin D and calcium are vital to keep bones strong. Below mentioned is a dietary supplement that is helpful in both treatment and management of osteoarthritis.
- GLME (Green Lipped Mussel Extract): GLME (Green lipped mussel extract) is the best dietary supplement for the patients of osteoarthritis. It is obtained from the green lipped mussel which is a shell fish grown in the farms of New Zealand in the sheltered waters near to the shore. It has a marine origin and is highly beneficial for the condition of osteoarthritis as it has great nutritional value that makes it unique.