The common treatments of Polymyositis are as follows:
Medications for Polymyositis
- Corticosteroids: They can be very efficient in controlling the symptoms of Polymyositis. However their prolonged usage can cause serious and wide-ranging adverse effects. Therefore the dose of these medications is tapered by the doctor.
- Corticosteroid-sparing agents: When used in combination with corticosteroids these medications can reduce the dose and side effects of the corticosteroid.
Therapy for Polymyositis
- Physical therapy: Physical therapist can suggest exercises which will aid to maintain and improve flexibility and strength.
- Speech therapy: Weakened swallowing muscles can be improved by speech therapy.
- Dietetic assessment: In the later stages of Polymyositis, swallowing and chewing can become harder therefore a registered dietitian can recommend you the preparation of easy-to-eat, nutritious foods.
Surgical and other procedures for Polymyositis
A blood product, Intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIg) containing healthy antibodies are given to the patient of Polymyositis as an infusion intravenously. It blocks the damaging antibodies which attack the muscles in Polymyositis.
Alternative treatments for Polymyositis
Alternative treatments of Polymyositis do not any significance role in the treatment of Polymyositis. However they can provide relief from the pain and stiffness.
- Acupuncture for Polymyositis: Acupuncture is recommended for the patients of Polymyositis along with other treatments to ease the severe conditions.
- Homoepathic medicines: Homeopathy cannot cure the Polymyositis but it can be helpful in controlling the progression of disease. It may also improve the symptoms of disease.
Dietary supplement for Polymyositis
Dietary supplements include herbs, vitamins, minerals, amino acids, enzymes and many other products that have an important role in the maintenance of health. You can get them in the form of traditional tablets, drinks, capsules, powders and energy bars. The best dietary supplement for the patients of Polymyositis is GLME.
- GLME (Green Lipped Mussel Extract): GLME (Green lipped mussel extract) is the best dietary supplement for Polymyositis. It is extracted from the shell fish (green lipped mussel) which is grown in the farms of New Zealand. It is highly beneficial for the people who suffer from the Polymyositis because of its unique benefits.