Following are the treatments to control the inflammation in affected joints to inhibit joint pain and disability:
Medications for Psoriatic Arthritis
- NSAIDs: Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are used to relieve pain and decrease inflammation. Its side effects include heart problems, stomach irritation, and liver and kidney damage.
- Disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs (DMARDs): These drugs slow the progression of psoriatic arthritis and protect the joints and tissues from permanent damage. They show side effects as liver damage, lung infection and bone marrow suppression.
- Immunosuppressants: These medications act to control the immune system, which is out of control in the patients of psoriatic arthritis. They make you more prone to infection.
- TNF-alpha inhibitors: TNF-alpha inhibitors help to decrease the pain and morning stiffness. It causes side effects as nausea, hair loss, and diarrhea.
- Newer medications: Certain newly developed medicines for plaque psoriasis can also decrease the signs and symptoms of psoriatic arthritis for example, Apremilast, Ustekinumab and Secukinumab.
Surgical and Other Procedures for Psoriatic Arthritis
- Steroid injections: They are helpful in reducing the inflammation quickly.
- Joint replacement surgery: In this surgery joints that are severely damaged are replaced with artificial prostheses made of plastic and metal.
Alternative treatments for psoriatic arthritis:
- Acupuncture: However there are no formal studies that show that acupuncture relieves the pain of psoriatic arthritis but many doctors recommend it
- Ayurvedic medicines: Khadirodaka, Khadira rasa, Nimbadi Kalka, Vidangadi Kalka and Vidangadi Churna are the main medicines used in the Ayurvedic treatment of psoriatic arthritis.
- Homeopathic medicines: Kali carbonicum, Rhus Toxicodendron, Natrum Muriaticum, Sulphur, Thuja occidentalis, Sepia and Silica are the commonly used homeopathic medicines for psoriatic arthritis.
Dietary supplements play a crucial role in the maintenance of health. They include minerals, herbs, vitamins, and many other products. They come as pills, energy bars, drinks, capsules, and powders. For arthritis GLME is the best dietary supplement that helps the psoriatic arthritis pain in the treatment and management of disease:
- GLME (Green Lipped Mussel Extract): GLME (Green lipped mussel extract) is the dietary supplement for psoriatic arthritis which is most beneficial in the treatment of psoriatic arthritis. It is extracted from the green lipped mussels. Green lipped mussel is a shell fish which is grown in the farms of New Zealand.