Following are the treatments for tendinitis:
Medications for Tendinitis
- Pain relievers: Taking aspirin or ibuprofen can relieve discomfort due to tendinitis.
- Topical creams with anti-inflammatory medication: They are for topical use therefore they relieve pain without causing the potential side effects.
- Corticosteroids: Corticosteroid medicine is injected around a tendon by the doctor to relieve tendinitis. Corticosteroids are not advised for chronic tendinitis as repeated injections can weaken a tendon.
- Platelet-rich plasma (PRP): PRP treatment involves withdrawing the blood sample and spinning the blood to separate out the healing factors and platelets. Then the solution is then re-injected into the tendon area of chronic irritation.
Therapy for Tendinitis
Specific exercises to stretch and strengthen the affected muscle-tendon are effective in treating chronic tendon inflammation.
Surgical and Other Procedures for Tendinitis
Surgical repair may be required depending on the severity of tendon injury.
For chronic tendon inflammation, focused aspiration of scar tissue (FAST) for chronic tendon inflammation is a minimally invasive treatment done using ultrasound guidance and very tiny instruments designed to eliminate the tendon scar tissue.
Alternative Treatments for Tendinitis
- Ayurvedic medicines: Alpnia calcarata, Bilva, Bala, Eranda, Punarnava, Gokshura, Guggulu, Shallaki and Jeeraka are the commonly used drugs in the treatment of tendinitis.
- Kairali massage: Ksheerabala taila, Dhanvantara taila, Kottamchukkadi taila, and Nirgundi taila are the commonly used oils in the Kairali massage for tendinitis. Kairali massage provides temporary relief from pain.
- Homeopathic medicines: Arnica Montana, Rhus Toxicodendron and Ruta Graveolens are the common homeopathic remedies for tendinitis.
Dietary Supplements for Tendinitis
Dietary supplements include minerals, herbs, vitamins, enzymes, amino acids and many other products that have a significant role in the maintenance of health. They are accessible as pills, energy bars, drinks, capsules, and powders. For tendinitis GLME is the most recommended dietary supplement due to its many unique benefits.
- GLME (Green Lipped Mussel Extract): It is considered as the best dietary supplement for tendinitis which is extracted from the green lipped mussels. Green lipped mussel is a shell fish which is found in New Zealand.