Permalife Omegatone Natural Fish Oil is an excellent source of the omega-3 essential fatty acids – Eicosapentanoic Acid (EPA) and Docosahexanoic Acid (DHA). EPA can help promote the formation of natural anti-inflammatory substances which may benefit skin, heart & joint health. DHA may benefit brain, vision, memory & learning functions. Together EPA & DHA are an essential combination of fatty acids to maintain the health of cells in your body.Omega-3s provide calories to give body energy and perform many functions in your lungs, heart, blood vessels, endocrine system and immune system.
Recommendations for use:
- To assist in lowering triglyceride and cholesterol levels, preventing cardiovascular disease and atherosclerosis, reducing blood clotting and high blood pressure and to improve heart rhythm.
- To assist in reducing the inflammation of rheumatic and osteo-arthritis, and to assist in the prevention of osteoporosis.
- To assist in the reduction of chronic inflammation and inflammatory bowel and lung conditions.
- To assist in the reduction of stress, depression, headache, and hyperactivity, and to assist memory and concentration.
- To improve circulation.
- To assist in the development of vision and brain development in infants and children.
- To assist in immune function.
- To assist with dry skin conditions, psoriasis, and eczema.
- To assist with menstrual and menopausal conditions.
Source of Omegatone
Omegatone is formulated from the oils of mackerel, sardine, salmon and anchovy.
Mackerel is also known as maccarello which is one of the most recommended oily fish for healthy diet. It is a slim torpedo-shaped fish which is found in deep tropical and temperate waters. It is rich source of minerals, essential oils, and vitamins. It is contains high quantities of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids. It contains vitamins A, B6, B12, C, D, E and K and it is also rich in various minerals that include calcium, iron, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, selenium and sodium. Its trace minerals copper and zinc. It also contains the antioxidant Coenzyme Q10 and protein. It has a number of health benefits as follows:
- Anti-Carcinogenic: Its antioxidant Coenzyme Q10 assists in the removal of cancerous agents from troubling cells. Thus it improves the cellular health and decreases the risk of some cancers. Omega-3 fatty acids present in mackerel can prevent breast, colon, prostrate, and renal cancers. It contains high amounts of vitamins B12 and selenium which are helpful in the treatment of cancer.
- Immunity: Mackerel strengthens the immune system by supporting the functions of organs which are weakened due to sickness. Omega-3 fatty acids present in it act as an anti-inflammatory agent, thus it helps in the management of arthritis. Coenzyme Q10 guards the cells from damage which elevates the risk of cancer. It increases the capacity of the body to fight infections.
- Cardiovascular: It supports heart health as the essential fatty acids aid to thin the blood. Thus this betters the blood flow and decreases the blood pressure. It inhibits the cholesterol build-up in the blood and thus inhibits the constriction of arteries. It decreases the risk of heart attack as the essential fatty acids present in it decreases the bad cholesterol levels therefore maintain good cholesterol levels. The rich calcium content present in it helps to normalize heartbeat and blood pressure.
- Brain and Nerve Development: Rich concentrations of Omega-3 fatty acids are found in the brain. This helps to increase the memory and performance. It also inhibits the risk of Alzheimer′s disease. Essential fatty acids also play a role to prevent the problems of the central nervous system.
Anchovies are generally small, salt water fish of the Engraulidae family. It has more than 100 different species found in the Atlantic, Pacific, and Indian Oceans. They are small, green fish with blue reflections as they have silver-colored longitudinal stripe which runs from the base of the caudal fin. These are oily fish which are powerhouse of various important nutrients. They are rich source of nutrients, vitamins and minerals. It contains Sodium, Selenium, Iron, Protein, Copper, Phosphorus, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B-12 and Vitamin B2. It also contains amino acids- Tryptophan, Threonine, Isoleucine, Leucine, Lysine, Methionine, Cystine and Phenylalanine.
It has a number of health benefits as:
- Heart Health: Anchovies has large amounts of polyunsaturated fats that assists to decrease the presence of LDL cholesterol which builds up in the arteries and elevates the risk of atherosclerosis, strokes and heart attacks. Omega-3 fatty acid which is present in large quantities in anchovy eliminates the unhealthy cholesterol and inhibits it from binding to the walls of arteries.
- Tissue and Cell Repair: Proteins present in Anchovies benefit the functioning of cell metabolism and repair and regrowth of connective tissue.
- Skin Health: Omega-3 fatty acid, vitamin-E and minerals like selenium present in anchovy promote healthy skin.
- Bone Health: Vitamins and minerals found in anchovies, help to build up strong bones and inhibit the risk of osteoporosis and other bone disorders. Calcium present in anchovy offer protection to teeth from ailments.
- Eye Health: Anchovies are rich source of vitamin-A which is crucial for eye health. Thus anchovy reduces the risk of appearance of eye degradation as well as cataracts.
- Anti-inflammatory effects: Anchovies contain high quantities of omega-3 fatty acids which is known to have anti-inflammatory properties.
Salmon lives in the northern Atlantic and Pacific oceans. Its appearance varies from species to species. They are rich source of nutrients as Vitamin B12, Vitamin D, Selenium, Vitamin B3, Omega-3 Fatty Acids, Protein, Phosphorus, Vitamin B6, Iodine, Choline, Vitamin B5, Biotin, and Potassium. It has a number of health benefits as:
- Bones & Joints: Omega-3 present in salmon helps to stay away from osteoporosis. It is a natural anti-inflammatory food which helps to keep the bones strong.
- Brain and Neurological Repair: Omega-3 rich foods are found to enhance the efficiency of various brain functions. The nutrients as the vitamin A, vitamin D and selenium present in salmon protect the nervous system. They protect from the age-related damage and even act as an antidepressant.
- Heart Health: Being rich source of omega-3 fatty acids salmon helps to decreases the inflammation and the chance of developing atherosclerosis, stroke and hypertension.
- Better Eyesight: Omega-3s improves the drainage of intraocular fluid and reduces the risk of glaucoma and high eye pressure.
- Healthy skin: Salmon helps to provide glowing and suppler skin.
- Cancer: Omega-3 fatty acids present in salmon prevent the cancer, by killing tumors.
Sardines are small fish that belong to the clupeidae family. They existed in large numbers in the Mediterranean Sea and are also abundantly found in the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. They can grow up to a maximum of 25cm. It is rich in protein, fat, vitamin B12, selenium, phosphorus, omega-3 fats, vitamin D, calcium, vitamin B3, iodine, copper and choline. It has numerous health benefits as:
- Decreases Inflammation: Sardines are wonderful source of essential omega 3 fatty acids which are known to decrease inflammation, thus it improves hearth health, brain function, and much more.
- Provides Many Essential Vitamins: Sardines contains vitamin B12, vitamin D, selenium and calcium and it is a great source of phosphorus, choline, iodine, copper, and more.
- Protects Bone Health: Sardines are good source of many vitamins and minerals which are essential for the maintenance of healthy skeletal structure, especially calcium, phosphorus and vitamin D. Thus its consumption can prevent bone mineral loss and can assist to heal broken bones.
- Protects Against Mood Disorders: High contents of omega-3 fatty acids present in sardines can aid to prevent mood disorders as anxiety and depression.
The tuna fish belongs to the family of Scombridae. Following are the most commercially popular tuna species:
- Albacore: Albacore are of moderate size and moderately long-lived species of tuna, with a usual length of 3-4 feet, usual weight of 15-45 lbs and average lifespan of 9-12 years.
- Bigeye: Bigeye are considered as a large and long-lived tuna species which are able to reach lengths of eight feet or more.
- Blackfin: Blackfin are comparatively small in size, with an average length between 1-3 feet and often 10-20 lbs in weight.
- Bluefin: Bluefin are the largest commercial tuna species which can reach weights above 1,000 pounds and length of about 15 feet. Because of their larger size, Bluefin are slightly higher in mercury concentrations than most of the other species of tuna.
- Skipjack: Skipjack are a relatively small tuna species generally weighing between 5-6 pounds and averaging 1-2 feet in length. They generally have a lifespan of two to three years.
- Tongol: Tongol are comparatively less seasonal, migratory, and found primarily in the Indian and Western Pacific oceans. They are comparatively small in size, ranging from approximately 10-12 pounds and 1-3 feet in length.
- Yellowfin: Yellowfin are medium-to-large sized tuna species, with size from 1-2 feet to as large as 5-6 feet, and in even longer. They are comparatively fast growing and have an average lifespan of 4-8 years.
Following are the health benefits of tuna:
- Anti-Inflammatory and Antioxidant Benefits: Tuna is rich source of omega-3 fatty acids which are helpful for proper regulation of the inflammatory system of body and inhibition of excessive inflammation. Some other antioxidants nutrients which are present in small amounts like vitamin C, zinc and manganese, are also provided by tuna.
- Other Health Benefits: Tuna provides cardiovascular benefits as its rich in omega-3 which can increase the presence of omega-3s in the cells along the blood vessel linings and membranes of red blood cells. This helps to improve the circulatory system and better the regulation of blood pressure. Tuna is also a good source of both potassium and magnesium which are important for heart function and healthy blood flow.
Use of Fish Oil Supplements During Pregnancy
According to research, the last three months of pregnancy are a crucial time for pregnant women to take fish oil supplements, as the baby′s brain experiences a growth spurt during that time, which continues through the first few months of the infant′s life. Evidence is increasingly accumulating about the benefits of high omega-3 fatty acid content in the fish oil supplements during pregnancy. These healthy fats are beneficial to the brain development of a healthy baby while in the womb. Pregnant women have an increased need for essential omega-3 fatty acids than women who are not pregnant. A baby while in the womb and as newborn depends entirely on the mother for omega-3 fatty acids as they cannot produce these fatty acids. Hence, the maternal omega-3 status during pregnancy is critical for the omega-3 status in the newborn because these nutrients are key building blocks for the brain and the nervous system. Yet, many pregnant women lack the important omega-3 fatty acids in their diet. Therefore improving maternal omega-3 status throughout pregnancy and lactation ultimately benefits the infant.
Benefits for Baby
Fish oil supplements taken during pregnancy help in the proper development of a baby′s brain and IQ, improve eyesight and lead to fewer behavioral problems later in life.
A recent study also shows improved hand-eye coordination and greatly improved comprehension in children whose mothers were given either high-dose fish oil or olive oil during pregnancy. The researchers based their findings on 98 pregnant women, who were either given 4 g of fish oil supplements or 4 g of olive oil supplements daily from 20 weeks of pregnancy until the birth of their babies. High cord blood levels of omega-3 fatty acids at birth (from fish oil) were strongly associated with good hand-eye coordination, while low levels of omega-6 fatty acids, found in many vegetable oils, were not.
Maternal intake of omega-3 fatty acids during pregnancy and lactation may be favorable for the later mental development of children. Children whose mothers received DHA supplementation during pregnancy and lactation scored better in mental processing tests carried out at four years than children whose mothers received placebo. Intake of DHA by the mother (but not infant intake) positively correlated with the mental processing ability of the children. Hence, optimizing DHA status of expectant women may offer long-term developmental benefits to their children.
Recent research indicates that mothers who take fish oil supplements in pregnancy can substantially reduce the chance of their children developing asthma later in life. Fish oil supplements during pregnancy can help to assure the proper development of the baby′s eyes as DHA is the key nutrient for the proper development of the retina of the eye. The beneficial actions of omega-3 fatty acids are not just limited to the baby, but also extend to the mother. They also have a specific effect on the health of the mother as well as the outcome of pregnancy.
Benefits for Mother
- Maternal supplementation with omega-3 fatty acids may increase the duration of gestation, birth weight or both.
- Supplementation with fish oil reduces the reoccurrence risk of preterm delivery among women with a history of preterm births and may be of help in preventing miscarriage or abortion.
- A mother who takes fish oil supplementation during pregnancy may have less chance of developing pre-eclampsia (combination of high blood pressure, swelling and protein in the urine) as well as lower the risk of postpartum depression.
Recommended Intake During Pregnancy
Given concerns for mercury toxicity with overconsumption of certain fish, in order to meet these recommendations, pregnant women will need to consume omega-3 fatty acids from fish oil capsules, containing both EPA and DHA as they are good, mercury-safe means of supplementing the diet of a pregnant woman. Pregnant women can eat fish, such as catfish, flounder and salmon (less or no mercury) or take fish oil supplements. Women who do not eat fish might consider nonmarine sources of omega-3 fatty acids, such as flaxseed oil, walnut oil, canola oil, soybean oil or walnuts. However, there is less evidence supporting a cardiovascular benefit from these sources of omega-3 fatty acids. However, all pregnant women should avoid mercury-rich shark, swordfish, king mackerel and tilefish because the relatively high content of mercury in them may impair fetal neurological development.
Dosage & Expectations
- Adults and children over 12 years: 1 capsule upto 3 times daily with food or as directed by your healthcare practitioner. Capsules may be opened and content mixed with food if desired.
- Children (under 12 years): 1 Capsule upto 3 times daily, should be opened and mixed with food.
Due to pollution, the fish in seas and oceans may be contaminated with various chemicals such as mercury, PCBs (polychlorinated biphenyls) and dioxins that are toxic or dangerous to human health.
Fish lipid oil used in Omegatone is stringently tested for Heavy metals (including Arsenic, Cadmium, Mercury & Lead), Pesticides, Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCSs). These testing requirements are set in the British Pharmacopoeia.